Thursday, January 18, 2007

Just another day at work

Scott White drove in to work late that morning to find Steve grinning as wide as he had ever seen him. Scott spent the next ten minutes or so telling Steve about the night before. Steve found himself envying Scott for his ability to go home with two gorgeous girls he’d just met, while he had leave early to spend time with his girlfriend. Perhaps, his day would come when Donna would invite her best friend over to watch a movie and have some wine and the three of them could go to bed afterward. The ten minute monologue was followed by another ordinary day at work.

Emily Stonebridge could not stop thinking about her date with Scott. She was looking forward to it quite a bit, more than she imagined she would be. It was only a couple of days since Scotty and she had coffee after he’d come in for the weekly meeting. He was so charming, and she would see him again tomorrow, but for some reason she couldn’t wait. Emily had thought about him and envisioned their date before going to sleep last night. She wondered if he’d done the same; think about her and how their date would progress. She brushed aside her thoughts of him on this seemingly glorious Thursday and went about tapping at her keyboard trying to finish her report. She, after all had to finish up early and go shopping for a new top, perhaps one exactly like what Scotty said he loved so much. There was no way she was stepping out of the house with that man in any one of the tops that were in her closet. She had to get a new one.

Emily hurriedly searched her hand bag as she felt the vibration of her phone.
“Hello!”
“Hello! Emily, how you doing?” Said Bobby.
“I’m good, actually, doing some shopping right now. What might you be up to and what made you call me?”
”Listen, I’ve been doing some thinking of late and sort of noticed that what I did was wrong and I would like to apologize for it. I was also wondering if you’d like to see me, say tomorrow evening, for drinks or something like that? Would that be okay?”
“Umm! Actually Bobby, I’ve kinda got plans for tomorrow evening. And I don’t think it’s a good idea, for us to meet that is, after what happened between you and I, am not so sure we should…” Bobby interrupted her
“Oh! C’mon babe, I told you that I was sorry. Maybe I wasn’t thinking straight. I mean I wasn’t thinking straight and I want to just… umm! I want to make things right between us.
“I can’t Bobby, I told you I have plans and…”
“Plans? What? Are you seeing someone already?”
“No. I mean, not right now, but I am meeting someone tomorrow. So I can’t see you tomorrow and honestly, I don’t think I want to see you later on either….” She let her voice trail off. Bobby thought for a few seconds before responding.
“So, you’ll be on a date tomorrow then? But how? Why would you want to cut me off from your life. I do love you Emily, and frankly the past week has been hell. I am really am sorry and…” this time Emily cut him off.
“Look Bobby, we did have something wonderful, or at least I thought of it in that way. But not anymore, not after what you did. So I would appreciate it if you didn’t call me anymore and just left me alone” Emily turned away when she noticed that she had been a little loud and other people in the store were starting to pay attention to her conversation.
“So it’s like that is it?” Came back Bobby’s voice.
“Yes. I am afraid it’s like that. I am sorry that it has to be this way. But I just can’t Bobby and it would be the best for both of us if we went our separate ways….” She said, suppressing the tears that were welling in her blue eyes.
“Like hell. It’s not going to be that easy. You know we were meant to be together and no one is going to come between us, you hear? Babe, I love you…” He hung up.

Emily wiped her eyes and put her phone back in her hand bag. She looked out of the shop window at the traffic on street. It had begun to drizzle and was soon becoming dark outside. She thought she’d gotten rid of Bobby for even when she’d changed her phone number and the locks on her door, but he’d managed to get her phone number from somewhere. Emily just wished he would leave her alone. All she wanted was to move on with her life; put that episode with Bobby in a small black box and tuck it away somewhere, somewhere she would never find it again. Bobby was not going to make it that easy and she was afraid. She was more afraid because she knew Bobby. He was often violent when he didn’t get what he wanted. That’s what she hated most about him.

Emily was jolted back to the present when someone brushed her shoulder. Oh! My! Am so sorry…! she said. Emily could only smile. The other woman went on with her shopping and Emily went on with her shopping as well. Hopefully tomorrow will mark the start of a new life. Wait! she thought. Emily Stonebridge you shouldn’t count your chickens….

No comments: